They, 2019년 올해의 단어
'They' Is Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year 2019
2019년 11월에 아래처럼 쓰이는 they의 뜻을 추가하고, 12월 9일에 올해의 단어로 발표했습니다.
I knew certain things about … the person I was interviewing.… They had adopted their gender-neutral name a few years ago, when they began to consciously identify as nonbinary — that is, neither male nor female. They were in their late 20s, working as an event planner, applying to graduate school.— Amy Harmon
글을 쓸 때, 남자인지 여자인지 모르면 "he or she"로 표현합니다. 이렇게 표현할 때마다 늘 조금 불편함이 느껴졌는데, 이제 they로 하면 되겠네요. 참고로 동사는 복수형입니다.
그럼, they의 일반적인 사용법은?
- he에 해당하는 말 + he + he + ... = they
- she에 해당하는 말 + she + she + ... = they
- it에 해당하는 말 + it + it + it + ... = they
- he + she + it + ... = they = 우리말 없음
- No one has to go if they don't want to. (참고로, 600년 넘게 사용되어온 표현입니다)
- Everyone likes pizza, don’t they?
- The person who answered the phone said they didn't know where she was.
- A student was found with a knife and a BB gun in their backpack Monday, district spokeswoman Renee Murphy confirmed. The student, whose name has not been released, will be disciplined according to district policies, Murphy said. They also face charges from outside law enforcement, she said.— Olivia Krauth
이 정도면 충분해 보이네요.